In-transit Permits

An In-transit permit allows a person to move a vehicle or trailer from Point A to Point B.


The In-transit permit can be used in the following situations:

  • to move a vehicle between 2 points in Canada ( 7 days maximum)
  • to move a vehicle within Alberta ( 3 days maximum)
  • for demonstration/test drive purposes ( 7 days maximum)
  • for repairs and servicing (7 days maximum)(3 days if vehicle has a salvaged status)
  • for inspection purposes (7 day maximum)
  • for towing the vehicle (3 days in Alberta and 7 days outside of Alberta)

When you’re moving the vehicle from one province to another, the starting point or ending point must be in Alberta.

Request an in-transit permit within Alberta:

  • Valid Identification
  • Proof of Insurance

To request an in-transit permit where you will be within Canada and the starting or ending point will be Alberta, you need the following documents:

  • Valid Identification
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Proof of Ownership

In-transit permits cannot be used to carry a load.  Please refer to the Service Alberta website or contact us for further clarification.