Click on an item below to expand answer. Some sections contain links to further assist you.

Contact us by clicking the links below for further information.

I just moved from out of Province, what do I require to register my vehicle in Alberta?

First you will need to get a request for inspection.  In order to get the form we need:

  • valid identification and
  • bill of sale or registration from other province. 

After you have gone to a government approved out of province inspection facility:

–  you will need your valid identification,

–  bill of sale or registration from the other province,

–  your alberta insurance, and

–  the out of province inspection form, which must be dated within the last 14 days from the time of inspection. 

For further information visit the Service Alberta Website –

I just bought a car. What documents do I need to register for the first time?

You will need to present:

  • valid identification,
  • the original Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement, and
  • If the vehicle is brand new, you will also need to submit the original N.V.I.S. (New Vehicle Information Statement), which will be given to you by the dealership.
  • valid insurance (with current Alberta address).

The Bill of Sale/Lease Agreement must contain the date, name and signatures of the buyer(s) and seller(s) as well as the year, make, model and serial number of the vehicle.

The Proof of Insurance must have name(s) of the insured (the insurance may contain more names than what appear on the registration document). We will not accept an insurance policy that has not started yet. The insurance card must have the vehicles make, model, year and Serial number.

All buyers listed on the Bill of Sale or Lease must be present in order to register the vehicle. If one party cannot make it, we require a completed Authorization for Vehicle Services Form in order to complete the service.

For further information click here to visit the Service Alberta Website

I need to renew the registration for my vehicle. What will I need to bring with me?

To renew vehicle registration, we require valid identification and mandatory proof of insurance. The insurance must be in effect on the day that you come to renew; expired insurance or insurance that has not started yet will not be accepted.

If the registered owner cannot come in to renew, you can bring in the registration certificate (copy, fax, picture or original), or a complete Vehicle Authorization form that gives consent to another person to renew on their behalf.

Proof of Insurance and acceptable identification is mandatory.

For further information visit the Service Alberta Website:

How do I cancel my registration and/or return my plate?

To cancel your registration and/or return your plate, come to the registry office where you will fill in a plate cancellation form.  If there is more than one person on the registration, all registrants will need to be in the office or a Authorization for Vehicle Services Form will be required to cancel the registration.

Depending on the time remaining until expiry, you may receive a pro-rated refund amount from the Government.

Please note that there will be a service fee charged to cancel your registration.

For further information click here to visit the Service Alberta Website

I need to move an unregistered vehicle from one place to another. Can I do this without purchasing registration and a licence plate?

To move a vehicle from point “A” to point “B”, you will need to purchase an in-transit permit.

To get this permit bring in valid insurance (valid for a minimum of 3 days and a maximum of 7 days), valid identification, and proof of ownership (is only required if the vehicle is leaving the province or entering the province).

The permit is used for vehicles staying within Canada and must start or end in Alberta.

When the vehicle is leaving Canada and entering the United States, the permit will end at the closest border crossing location.

For further information, click here to visit the Service Alberta Website

What do I need to apply for a Class 7 Learners Licence?

1st –  Study and try practice exams at the website:

2nd–  Take a knowledge test

In order to take the knowledge test you will need one of the following: a birth certificate, Canadian Passport, Permanent Resident Card, Citizenship card, work permit with passport or study permit with passport.

If you are under 18 years of age you will require a parent, legal guardian (court ordered consent), or social worker to be present to allow you to write the knowledge test.  The person consenting must be a resident of Alberta, if that person does not have an Alberta Drivers Licence or Identification card they must prove Canadian Residency and Alberta Residency.

3rd–  Purchasing your Class 7 Learners Licence Card

In order to get the Class 7 Learners Licence you will require the following:

  • Canadian Residency
  • Alberta Residency (If you are 18 years of age or older)
  • The knowledge permit
  • Parent Consent (If you are under 18)
  • You must pass a vision screening test

I have a drivers licence from another province/country what documents are needed for me to get an Alberta Drivers Licence?

For you to get a licence in Alberta there are three main requirements:

  • Proof of Canadian Residency,
  • Proof of Alberta Residency,
  • and the out of province or out of country drivers licence.

Additional requirements for Countries that do not have a reciprocal licence exchange agreement, will require a:

–  knowledge test for Class 7,

–  the submission of the out of country drivers licence and the International Driver’s Permit (IDP if applicable) to the Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) exemption program,

–  and a road test if approved for the Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) exemption program.

For out of country drivers licences please refer to the Service Alberta Website:



Edmonton Registry Services (South) Inc.

Phone: (780) 435-7800


(780) 436-1000
(780) 435-2700
(780) 435-5600


Location Address:

Unit #1, 9109-39 Ave. NW
Edmonton, Alberta
T6E 5Y2



Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Closed Sundays and Statutory Holidays