Replace lost, stolen or damaged Driver Licences & Identification

To replace a Drivers Licence that may have been lost, stolen or destroyed visit our office with one of the following documents below:

  • Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate or Civil Marriage Statement, Legal Change of Name Certificate.
  • Municipal, Territorial, Provincial, Federal Government Employee Card.
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate.
  • Chequing/savings/credit card account statements.
  • Utility, telephone (land or cell), gas or cable TV bill in client’s name.
  • Property tax bill, land title or mortgage documents.
  • Income tax receipts.
  • Insurance policy documents (life, auto, residential, etc.).
  • Study Permit.
  • Government assistance document(s) (e.g. Income Support document, cheque, etc.).
  • Passport

All documents must be mailed to your home address or have a current issue and expiry date. 

This list is not an all-inclusive.  If you cannot provide any of the following please contact our office for further information.


If you require a new driver’s licence while temporarily outside of Alberta, you can apply for a new licence by completing the Renewal / Replacement Licence for Alberta Residents Temporarily Outside of Alberta form.

You must have last held an Alberta driver’s licence and will need to provide proof of identification and Alberta residency with your application.

You must attend our office within 14 days of returning to Alberta and will need proof of Alberta residency and Canadian legal presence.

We will provide you with a 30-day temporary interim licence to use until your new driver’s licence arrives in the mail (up to 21 days). Be aware that the card is mailed to your Alberta address and will not be mailed outside of Alberta.