Operator First Services

A first service is done for someone who:

  • Is an Alberta resident applying for a drivers licence or Identification card for the first time.
  • The licence is expired for more than 6 months.
  • Is coming from Out of Country or Out of Province and applying for a new licence with driving history from that province or country.


  • Your coming from out of country or out of province and applying for a licence for the first time and have never had a drivers licence.

When your driver’s licence has been expired for 3 years or more, you must complete a vision screening, knowledge and road test.

Licensing Requirements

  • Provide acceptable identification.
  • Provide proof of residency.  (See Alberta Residence documents and Canadian Residence documents)
  • Provide knowledge test permit.
  • Pass a vision screening and disclose all medical conditions/physical disabilities that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
  • Surrender their driver’s licence. (If coming from another province or country.)

Operator Renewal    

An Operator renewal service is done for someone with a current Alberta Drivers Licence.

Licensing Requirements

A client must:

  • Provide acceptable identification.
  • Surrender their previous Alberta driver’s licence.
  • Provide one other piece of secondary valid ID.

Operator Reclass

An operator reclass is done to change the class of a driver’s licence.

Clients applying for an operator reclassification service have the option of renewing their driver’s.

Licensing Requirements

  • Provide valid identification
  • You must have your knowledge test permit
  • You must have your road test permit
  • Successfully complete the Mandatory Entry Level Training Program for Class 1 and Class 2
  • Pass a vision screening
  • You must disclose all medical conditions/physical disabilities that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.  If reclassing your licence to a professional class licence (1, 2 or 4) and/or a person with a medical condition must provide a medical. 
  • Surrender their Alberta driver’s licence.

Alberta Residence documents

At least one of the following types of original documents with your Alberta address may be presented as proof that you are living in Alberta:

  • electronic utility bills showing an Alberta address
  • electronic cable bill, telephone bill (cannot be a cell phone bill)
  • other non-utility statements or correspondence mailed to your Alberta address

Original mailed statement showing the client’s name and Alberta address:

  • Credit card statement
  • Bank Statement
  • Alberta Social Benefit Statements or cheques
  • Other financial type statements
  • Income tax assessment summary
  • Cell phone bill (mailed to your home address, cannot be electronic)

Other documents containing a client’s name and physical Alberta address:

    • Residential lease agreement showing residential address
    • Written confirmation of Alberta employment including contact name and telephone number (must be current within the last 15 days)
    • Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependents are attending school full time
    • Copy of a Land Title

The documents must contain your full name, address and have a date of less than 90 days to ensure the information is reasonably current.

If you don’t have Alberta residency documents yet, you have 90 days from the day you moved to Alberta to obtain these documents and to change your driver’s licence to Alberta.

Canadian Residence Documents

At least one of the following types of original documents must be provided as proof of Canadian residency when applying for an Alberta Drivers Licence or Alberta Health Care:

  • Canadian Birth Certificate
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing
  • Canadian Status Card
  • Canadian Indian Status Card (Federal Government Issued)
  • Valid Canadian Passport
  • Work or Study Permit (Must be valid for more than 90 days)
  • Nexus Card

Out-of-Province and Out-of-Country clients will also need to provide their drivers licence and any other applicable documentation that may apply to their specific country or province.

For further information visit the Service Alberta Website: